Tuesday, June 3, 2008

This week in Modern Philosophy

Proverbs 25:2 (ESV)

It is the glory of God to conceal things,
but the glory of kings is to search things out.


My moden philosophy class has definitely been challeging some of my veiws of existence. My beliefs about God and who we are related to Him remain the same (biblical), and I'm not really worried that I'll be persuaded differently, but there are so many things that aren't explained in the Scripture and that are important and helpful (or maybe just interesting) to "seek out".

Obviously, one of the major topics in the class is the relationship between the body and the mind, and it's interesting to compare my own previously held thoughts to those of philosophers before me.When I was younger, I was always taught that we consisted of three parts; the body, the soul, and the spirit. The soul consisted of the mind, will, and emotions, and the spirit is the part of us that is dead before Christ, and comes alive when we are saved and communicates with God.

I'll have to do a word study myself, but off-hand I want to say that the Bible is not as clear on the matter, other than to say that the mind/soul/spirit (the something that makes you that isn't the body) exists that that is what is saved and redeemed when we accept Christ as Lord and Saviour, and that is what survives the death of the body. As to the nature of its existence, that is one of the things that God has concealed and that we are to search out, as long as we keep the most important things most important.


No comments: