Saturday, February 21, 2009

Black Girl, Light World III


"Identity is found in the God we trust/ Any other identity will self destruct"
Lecrae,"Identity," Rebel



The above quote encapsulates an idea I was taught a year or two ago and is now actually being fully realized in my life. To continue from the last post: When one's identity is tied into the world's paradigm, identity cannot be.. whole? Anything else in life is subject to change. People stop loving you, you lose your job, you might lose the ability to do your art, and so on. Plus, none of those things are totally satisfying anyway. No one thing encapsulates all of who we as individual humans are and to keep up that illusion that it does, we have to limit ourselves and limit each other.

When my identity is tied into what the world says is beautiful, it is damaging whether I can live up to that or not, in my case not. I can't love the people I am supposed to because I'm too busy thinking of where they are in relation to me on this completely unrealistic and racist standard. Feeling smug about the people I might be better than and harboring hatred for the people I'm supposedly worse than is not the way a Believer in Christ is supposed to live. Only in freedom surrendered to Him can I break the chains of flesh that have tied me down and made me want to tie down others.

Being a child of God is so... transcendental. It is more identity than anyone could ever need. What does it matter that tot hem I am not beautiful when to the only objective One I am, everyone is! He made us in a way that caused us to be different than each other and He takes delight in each and every difference. Each and every uniqueness. Why should we hate each other? Why should we hate ourselves?

This blog entry is a lot more scattered than I wanted it to be, but I couldn't put off writing any longer to straighten it out. I guess the next thing I want to talk about in relation to this subject is hair. It plays a very strong role in my life as a Black woman and I think in many Black women. In a way, it defines us racially since skin and hair are the most obvious differences between
Caucasians and African Americans.

No comments: