Sunday, September 26, 2010

On Finally Catching Up To Naruto Shippuden Ep. 177

WARNING
**SPOILERS, SHAMELESS GEEKERY, USE OF THE WORD "LIKE" AS A DISCOURSE PARTICLE, AND CHARACTER WANKING**

YOUR NORMALLY ERUDITE BLOGGER HAS DEVOLVED INTO HER MOST BASE FORM...
A 12 YEAR OLD FANGIRL
ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK









So I just finished watching Naruto, and I am entirely caught up on hulu. I've spent the last month on a Naruto binge from Naruto #59, all the way through that series and up to Naruto Shippuden #177 (that's 338 episodes or 112.7 hrs if anyone wanted to know), and I have to say that it has become one of my favorite anime series if not my favorite anime... ever. And it has been an extremely emotional ride. I admit to crying. A lot. During the Naruto/Sasuke fight at the hospital, during the Valley of the End fight, ALL during Gaara's story, when Naruto finally found Sasuke at Orochimaru's hideout but couldn't bring him home, at the end of Menma's story, during Itachi's story which effected me the most of all (OMG I was honestly sobbing, like not even like, "Oh, I'm shedding a tear at this sad moment," but like actually crying: making-the-ugly-face-and-not-being-able-to-breathe crying. It was embarrassing).

Because I've just been watching Naruto in the last month, I'm not really into the fan scene but I have noticed people hating on Sasuke, but it wasn't until Itachi's death that I understood why there was so much Sasuke hate floating around. Until then, Sasuke had been my favorite character but now... Itachi has my heart, man, for real, best big brother of the fictional world ever. I hadn't cried so hard since the end of Nabari no Ou, and please don't let me go into that! By that time in th show, I just wanted a cuddle party with my favorite tragic characters (Itachi, Lucciola & Dio, Miharu & Yoite, Menma, Haku, and Kimimaro, Kyoya, and the Hiitachin twins can jump in to fill the spaces :P). And let's not forget the Shikamaru/Asuma arc AND when both Naruto and Kakashi saw their dads, yeah, I couldn't stop the salty flow then either. (Strangely, I didn't cry at Jiraiya's death because it came too soon after the Hotaru/Utakata thing, at which I also shed copious tears and I was just too cried out). I'm not usually this much of a crier and I can't blame it on PMS because that was ALL month long, so I guess the repetition of the "this is a really sad moment" musical theme works a little too well, at least on me. Plus most watchers have time to decompress after the dramatic moment but I was just pushin' on through.

All in all, even though there were times I wanted the story to speed up and  Naruto as shinobi Jesus was a bit of a stretch for me, I really enjoyed this... experience and I really like the character development of the series. It's been a fun month, if a bewildering one for everyone else living in my house ("What?! Yes! F*** you, Orochimaru! He said before these eyes, b*tch, before THESE eyes! WHAT NOW? OH? You're dying? YOU'RE DYING? How does it feel, HUH, how does it feel!? What? Immortal? No, I don't think so; I mean, maybe it's just me, but it looks like YOU'RE DYING!" and other random outbursts, and I don't curse like, ever; Naruto definitely had me on edge!)

No comments: