Saturday, April 14, 2012

Black Girl, Light World XII: On Racism, Friendship, and What Heck Is Going On Up In This Piece, America?

I don't understand how people can think that racism is not a national problem. I don't understand how people can look at the various things that have happened just since the beginning of this year and not think, "Wow there really must be a problem here," and begin to educate themselves so they will know that *what has made it to national news is just the tip of the iceberg*. Racism, hate crimes, etc. happens all day every day.
ALL DAY.
EVERY DAY.
The only thing that makes Trayvon Martin's case an isolated incident is that we actually got to hear about it. Otherwise his story is a dime a dozen, sad to say, and I'm not trivializing it please believe me.


The reason Black friends are beginning to look at their White friends sideways is because their White friends are oftentimes in lala land when it comes to racism. And I don't think I can be friends with someone who doesn't take a threat to my physical, mental, and spiritual well-being (and that of all people who look like me) seriously and doesn't listen when I try to explain why this is for real or at least try to educate themselvew on racism from outside sources, of which there are plenty and free for the taking in the form of books, blogs, classes, discusions, etc.. Especially calling themselves Christians. I can love you pray for you ask that God bless you with all His goodness and even sacrifice for you. But please don't think I don't know what the deal is when those friends make stereotypical or ignorant comments or treat me and other friends who look like me differently than the friends who look like them. It's a good thing God is teaching me to do what I do for Him and not for men, let's just leave it at that.

And for those who didn't get this the first time (racist Hunger Games fans I'm shouting out to you, and I wrote this parenthetical comment because I knew you wouldn't get my reference from the text alone since you've proven reading comp. isn't your strong point) I am not talking to all White people. I am talking to the White people who don't "take a threat to my physical, mental, and spiritual well-being (and that of all people who look like me) seriously and [don't] listen when I try to explain why this is for real or at least try to educate themselvew on racism from outside sources."
Does that make any sense?

Racial Reconciliation in the Church has been heavy on my heart and I will definitely write my current thoughts on that at a later date.

No comments: