Thursday, February 28, 2013

Black Girl, Light World XI: Black History Month 2013 Recap

Well, let it suffice to say that this February was very eventful for me, social media-wise. It seems that some people get really uncomfortable with some of the personal changes I've been making and the way that they are reflected in my Facebook posts.

My cousin had some good advice for me after the fact; that is, "Don't show everybody everything. Not everyone will understand this ...consciousness you're coming into, and not everyone has your best interests at heart. Also you gotta get a job at some point so be careful what is and isn't public." Most of my Facebook isn't accessible to the public so I'm not really concerned on that point but it is "hilarious" how a few Facebook posts on black history and black empowerment/consciousness bring the latent white supremacists and racism apologists out of the woodwork.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Me
Hi *****, not to just message you out of the blue like this but I was really intrigued by your status post this morning and I guess I just wanted to ask what that (Christian first that just happens to be _whatever you are_) looks like to you? That's definitely something I've been thinking about a lot lately so i wanted to ask.


Childhood Friend
Hey *****!!!! How are you?!! I guess what I was saying is that in Christ we are to see everyone no matter what nationality, political stance, or social status we are to walk in love and see the big picture. Does that make any sense?


Me
That makes a lot of sense. How do you think the Church will get to that place?


Childhood Friend
The church? It definately have to come individually first through leaders to rightly aline themselves with truth and effectively communicate / disciple their congregations. People have to commit to it know truth for truth and not just knowing truth according to how they have been raised or their spheres of influence.



Me
Sorry for taking so long to respond, *****I got tied up in the beginning of my work week. I think I get what you're saying. I do believe that there is something missing and that is renewing the mind. No that you yourself didn't include that in being committed to truth, but I believe that renewing the mind has to be taken almost as a separate step, because otherwise people's blinders are still up, their glasses are still on. They look for truth and are committed to it, but can't actually see it because the haven't changed the way they think in the first place.

I say this as someone has experienced the worst kind of racism in the church. Not the "I hate your guts and will not associate with you people" kind of racism though, believe me, that's bad too, but the "I'm your friend yet I constantly belittle you mistreat and disrespect you in ways I don't even realize because I'm just doing what I've always done what's always been done" And again I'm not talking about hatred or indifference. I'm talking about well-meaning people who love the Lord and are trying to live for Him yet cannot see what is right in front of them. Because, when it came to racism, unlike other sins, they didn't think it necessary to completely renew their minds completely reshape their thinking, completely police their environment for such influences, unlike the way people do or say they do with lust or gossip or idolatry,etc.

That's when people say things like "Christian first that just happens to be _whatever you are_" my... feelers go up.

_whatever you are_ matters because we are taught by the world ways to interact with each other on the basis of _whatever you are_ and if we as believers don't take that as seriously as we do being raised in a household where anger was always present or where lying and manipulation were acceptable, isn't it just as likely that people will continue to interact the way they learned to interact with each other in the world?

Which means we have to actively acknowledge race/ethnicity/culture, and not just treat it as something that we just so happen to be but as something that informs our intraChurch relationships and address it accordingly, right? We have to acknowledge the lessons the world teaches and actively label them as lies. We have to individually take captive those thoughts and refute them and teach other believers these same things, right?

I hope my *manifesto* lol isn't a bother and again I'm sorry for the **way** out of the blue message. I'm just seeking to talk with other Believers who are actually willing to talk about these things (which is rare) and I guess see where we all are, you know? Hope you have a good evening.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After which there was no response, *shrug*

No comments: